Monday 11 March 2013

Urban Decay 'Theodora' Oz The Great and Powerful Palette | Review





Whenever Hollywood produces a huge blockbuster film with whimsical female characters, it's only time before one of the big makeup brands jump on its bandwagon and release a limited edition collection. With all the buzz surrounding the release of 'Oz The Great and Powerful', Urban Decay has released three limited edition palettes - one for each of the three witches. To say I was excited for the film was an understatement, and when I heard about the palettes I had an irresistable urge to buy all of them! Sadly, my bank balance wouldn't allow this and I had to settle with only one. Of the three, I felt the Theodora palette was both the most wearable and the most suited to my skin tone.







The Theodora palette boasts eight eyeshadows (four of which are compacted into duos), a black 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil and a Super-Saturated High-Gloss Lip Colour. The palette is made of a sturdy plastic, and thankfully not the velvet-like material Urban Decay are known to use which, although looks nice when first purchased, turns grubby very quickly. As well as the material, what I love about the structure of this palette is that the eyeshadows are removeable, so you can rearrange the colours to how you want and, if you're a YouTuber, you can hold them up individually to the camera. You could even put them in your own home-made palette if you wished!

The shadow colours are all of the same great standard we've come to expect. They're highly pigmented, easy to blend and have a smooth texture - although the usual fallout downside still applies. I'd go as far to say that I prefer this palette to my Naked one, as I feel the colours supply me with everything I want:

- 'Broken' is an amazing nude highlight colour

- 'Beware' is the perfect matte, mid-toned brown for crease definition

- 'Bewtiched' provides me with a cool toned dark brown, and 'West' is it's warm counterpart

- The 'Spell' duo of a black and gold shimmer are essentials for me in any night out look

- and finally, the 'Jealous' duo, a light and mid-toned green, give me a great alternative to neutrals that will contrast beautifully with my blue eyes.










Little needs to be said about the 24/7 liner, as it's reputation for being an amazingly black eye-liner which stays put preceeds it, so I have not included a swatch of it in this review. The only thing left to discuss is the Super-Saturated High-Gloss Lip Colour in 'Theodora'. I have slightly mixed feelings about this product, as I have slightly mixed feelings about any glossy lip product. I'm not a fan of lip gloss or any lipstick that it's matte. I find them irritating to wear, my hair sticks to them, they never stay put and I find them, quite frankly, a waste of time and money. Why this product gives me mixed feelings is, because against all odds, I actually really like it. I wouldn't have paired it with a smokey-eye like the palette directions suggest, but even that I supirsingly liked. It is certainly both super pigmented and high shine but incredibley isn't sticky, and what's more I had it on all day as a road test to it's longevity and it was still glossy when I took it off at night. I wouldn't run out to buy an other colours - but I'm very happy with this one.







I followed the directions for the Theodora makeup look as a bit of insight for you guys as to what you would be buying into should you choose to purchase it, and also for a bit of fun! It's nice to follow instructions sometimes as it takes all the thought out of it and lets you get on with the fun stuff. It's a lot more makeup than I would usually wear, as I never pair red lips with smokey eyes, but it was fun for a day.








I hope I've done this palette justice with this review, because it really is an amazing product and I'd recommend it to anyone who loves neutals and red lips!

5 comments:

  1. You look stunning with that look! Really enjoyed the review hun :-) xx

    http://whenitrainsitpours92.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Naomi ! You are beautiful girl. I love Manchester, so jealous You live there. Have a nice day sweetie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That palette looks amazing!! Too bad I rarely stumble upon Urban Decay in Australia. Might need to check this out online! Beautiful look xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your eye shadow is done perfectly!! Wish i had your talents :(
    xxxBrooke

    ReplyDelete